Welcome to The Sparrows' Nest, Nottingham
- Hits: 637
Below is the latest list of special collections and scanned documents. Please note that other curated collections (including Colin's, Chris', Dave's and Nick's), not online but available at the Sparrows' Nest, can be found itemised in sections within the main catalogue.
For more detailed information regarding the individual collections, please see the respective pages:
Solidarity Federation Archive
Ron's Collection - Syndicalist materials 1940s-1960s
If you have any materials you would like to donate or to be held in the library or archive, please contact us! Donations to help us build the collections are very welcome. Please visit our donations page and see our acceptance policy.
Some of our greatest treasures came from apparently random heaps of smelly paper. So if you have access to materials, be it pamphlets, bulletines, zines, papers, letters, etc. please DO NOT throw them out, but let us know!
We are always striving to make this Digital Library as accurate and user-friendly as possible. However we are limited by software, IT-know how, etc. If there are any people out there who could assist us in putting together a more user-friendly database, please get in touch!
Library and archive
- Hits: 3548
We've been going over 4 years since The Sparrows' Nest opening event in December 2008. Since then we've been cataloguing continuously. A big thanks to everyone who has helped with this! Thanks of course to all those who have donated to the Nest.
Online Catalogue: Take a look at our most recently updated Online catalogue with searchable keywords: ANARCHIST BOOKS/PAMPHLETS - note this is a table of all content with fairly large file size (6MB) so wait to load before searching. Use search facility on your browser. Alternatively, Download/print catalogue ordered by author or by title (no keywords, around 700kB filesize). Last updated 19-April-2013.
Digital Libary of scanned publications: for our newest project we are a currently making our way through the content of The Sparrows' Nest Public Archive and scanning this in as we go. We have previously scanned in the Soldarity Federation archive and the personal archive of one of its founding members, Ron and this has been converted into PDF format. In addition we already have some scans of miscellaneous material such as unique local anti-Poll Tax campaigning newsletters, leaflets & press-cuttings. Select the Digital Library menu item for all this. Originals of digitised material are also available but please note many of these documents are fragile and are kept in acid-free and lignin-free archive boxes and require special handling.
Contents of the existing library and archive are, briefly, as follows:
- The Sparrows' Nest book collection. Books and pamphlets by and about anarchists, and directly influencing or influenced by Anarchist thought and practice. We also have a special social history section on social history covering specific struggles and memoirs of activists, especially of the Midlands region. It has an oversize shelf too.
- The Sparrows’ Nest public archive. Papers and other historical anarchist materials.
- The Sparrows’ Nest periodicals collection. Current and back-issues of papers and magazine still very much alive and kicking.
- The Sparrows’ Nest art collection. Novels, poems and art by and about anarchists.
- Personal archives already in custody. A local anarchist’s collection; International and UK Anarchist organisations; A local labour activist’s collection.
- General Left’s collection. Non-anarchist materials that Anarchists also read.
- Posters, stickers, badges, t-shirts, banners, videos, music. We are building up a fine collection of these too.